20080205

If a blog falls in the woods...

A cursory scan of the post dates on this blog will show that I've only just recently started blogging in earnest. Digging slightly deeper will show that this blog had been around for nigh on two years without a single post. Why was that?

If I may posit a hypothesis, it's because I tend to think too much. About everything. I mean it. Everything.

We've all come across those two guys in the coffee shop, tirelessly pontificating on the most inane of subjects. The ones whose conversations play out like a glossary of terms from an Intro to French Philosophy course. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm as much a fan of post-structuralist debate as the next ego inflated academic, but these guys take self-aggrandizement to a new level.

Anyway. It seems those two clowns have taken up residence in my rationally thinking mind. "But what's the point? Nobody will read your blog." "It's so narcissistic; who do you think you are?" "Why a blog? Why can't you just write it in a journal like every other self-absorbed introvert?" Ad nauseum.

The point I am failing to make is that for two years I have allowed the peanut gallery to stop me from producing anything. Having posed a list of questions for which there are no possible right answers, I have been frozen in a state of inaction. I've recently come to accept, however, the Zen of Carmela Soprano--that "more is lost by indecision than by wrong decision."

And so here we are. Writing. Participating in this new literary paradigm that is The Blog. Publishing our personal thoughts, wrapping them up into bite-sized morsels, dropping them into the collective unconscious of the Interweb. Why? Not sure. Stopped caring. Just taking part in it.

I have an operating philosophy (what a more ontologically-rigid mind might call a belief) that everything I read (or hear, for that matter) comes to me only when I am ready to understand it. Maybe a little too Be-Here-Now-ish, but it works. Sometimes I try to force a book too soon, and it is only years later that I return to the book with a new set of eyes, finally prepared to wrap my head around the content. That being said, I wish I had stumbled upon this post by Steve Yegge a lot sooner. Mr. Yegge is a prominent voice in the computer programming community; he's a very polarizing blogger--the kind you either love or hate. In the post, he addresses--very well, I think--many of the unanswerable questions that plagued me for so long. He has brought closure to many of my reservations about blogging. If you have any interest at all in the "why" of blogging, do yourself a favor and check out Steve's post.

And then you can write about it in your own blog.

No comments: