20081203

Jingle Jingle

This weekend was a grand ol' time. John and Bonkosi were in town for Thanksgiving/Jingle Cross. On Friday, we met for a few (too many) drinks at The Mill by way of Quinton's by way of the Dublin. We ran into Old Steve on the Ped Mall, which always adds an element of randomness to the evening (a Very Good Thing).

Saturday came bright and early, in preparation for Jingle Cross 2008. John, Joe and I raced the Cat 4 race, which started at 9:45. We had breakfast at Lou Henri and made our way to the Johnson County Fairgrounds. After a quick practice lap, we lined up and began our 35 minutes of hell. I discriminate fairly regularly against runners (running is for suckers), and I think the gods of running stuck it to me pretty bad. A little bit more aerobic stamina would have been good.

The amount of preparation I put in was precisely zero. Thus, I was a little nervous approaching my first barrier. I'd read over and over the correct dismount procedure, and I still managed to fuck it up. Coming up to my dismount point, I clipped out of my left pedal. Shit. Needless to say, it was ugly. I almost went down remounting, but I managed to pull it off (bruised ego in tow).

In the end, I placed 32 in a field of 57. My two goals--not crashing and finishing--were accomplished. A good time was had by all.

I sat Sunday out, in favor of hot cider and whiskey. It was an absolute blast to watch the races; it was snowing, so the course turned to pure mud. It was pretty comical. The highlight of the day was the descent from Mount Krumpit, which was basically a big mudslide. Joe was lucky to have his camera rolling for the sweetest crash of the day:





Geoff of Geoff's Bike and Ski definitely took the prize for gnarliest crash. And with a smile on his face the whole time. Pretty rad.

No comments: